Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Back to Basics

My not-so-trusty scale went kaput a week ago (don't they always do that when you most want them to work?), so I have no idea how things are going there. But I have been spending a lot of time focusing on getting my preggo eating habits on the right track with a tool that is hopefully trustier than my scale, the pregnancy food pyramid guide. It isn't perfect, but I think it's a good goal to aim for in terms of getting a variety of healthy foods each day. And after I almost fainted in the frozen food aisle of the grocery store a couple of weeks ago (a normal occurrence during pregnancy, but it still freaked me out), I started keeping a log of what I eat daily and comparing it to the pyramid suggestions, which has led to some surprising discoveries: I don't eat nearly enough fruits, grains, or proteins. This is very much a surprise because I really believed that I ate healthy before I got pg, but my log is revealing that I'm not quite as healthy as I thought. So, the trusty old pyramid is helping me to revamp and rethink what I eat each day. I feel like I'm in health class in fifth grade again, and can't believe that at my age I really do need to go back to basics and reconstruct my eating habits. But what better time to do it?

My inspirational quote of the week:

"Sooner or later, you have to become your own mother- to feed and nourish yourself in the way that you've always hoped someone else would do for you" (from Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom by Christiane Northrup).

I'm starting to realize that not only do I have to be my own mother, but that I am already the mother of someone else who is entirely dependent on me for everything it needs, even though I've never met that special someone and I don't even know whether to call it a "he" or a "she" yet. I've had the whole "no drinking, no sushi, no being around smokers" thing down for quite awhile now, but somehow it's harder to understand that even the things I'm eating are affecting the baby. Maybe because it's still hard to believe that there is really something in there, because I still don't look pregnant. There seems to be a common misperception that motherhood doesn't begin until the baby is born, but I'm beginning to have the overwhelming realization that it has already begun. Sooo... food pyramid, watch out! You are about to be owned... by a mother.

1 comment:

  1. You just made me cry a little (in a good way!)... I love the idea that motherhood has begun already.

    And hey, banana splits count for a fruit, so you must be doing all right!

    -Astrid

    ReplyDelete

If you aren't a registered Google user, you can still leave a comment by using the "anonymous" option. Just put your name in the comment so that I know who left it! Thanks!