Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Bump

It's growing! Last week, I had to start unbuttoning my pants if I wanted to sit down after I ate. Like what happens when you eat five plates of food at an all-you-can eat buffet. Except this happens to me after I eat a meal small enough for a first grader. It was lots of fun to come up with subtle ways to undo that top button while sitting in a room with 75 other people at work. But this week, things have already changed and my pants have to stay unbuttoned at all times (thank God for long loose shirts!). Even my "fat jeans" don't fit anymore. However, yesterday I had my second OB appointment and found out I've lost three pounds since I got pregnant, thanks to two months of nausea and food aversions. So... why don't my pants fit? According to my preggo books, I should have gained about two pounds of fun stuff in my abdominal area by now. Apparently I've gained that, but lost about five pounds elsewhere in my body. Strange. But I don't think losing weight will be a problem anymore, because in the last few days my appetite has been reappearing with a vengeance. Instead of waking up nauseous, I've been waking up hungry, and have been getting hungry every few hours. This could wreak havoc on my already fragile clothing situation... maybe I can start threading a string through my belt loops and tying it together to hold up my pants, covered by a giant t-shirt...?

The sudden inability to wear my pants comfortably has led me to seek out every clothing store Athens has to offer, only to find that this town is seriously lacking in maternity wear. Target had a tiny maternity section, but of course none of their pants were long enough for my 5'9" self. Old Navy has a great selection of maternity wear online, but my order from them won't get here for at least a week, and I can't bear this wardrobe crisis much longer! In desperation, I found one decent second hand store in this town, and found two pairs of maternity pants there that fit me. Ahhh.... relief! Hopefully no one will notice I'm wearing them everyday! Some of the best advice I've gotten from a preggo book is to start looking for maternity clothes before you actually need them so that you won't panic when the day comes that you can't button your pants. I'm really glad that I started looking two weeks ago, when my amazing elastic abdomen started to enlarge, but I wish I'd put in that order at Old Navy sooner!

1 comment:

  1. I lOVE this blog and am so glad you are doing it! The biggest annoyance I have found is that not one store or manufacturer carries maternity pants long enough. The only way I have been able to manage is by buying Bella Bands and putting them over my regular non-maternity pants. That worked until about two weeks ago when my butt and thighs completely exploded and made the pants of yesteryear a sweet, distant memory;)I'm so glad that you found that consignment shop, though. I know how desperate it is to have a whole closet full of clothes and not one single thing to wear! You looked fabulous on Saturday, though, and I know that you will continue to for the next 6 months!

    Aunt Jenny

    ReplyDelete

If you aren't a registered Google user, you can still leave a comment by using the "anonymous" option. Just put your name in the comment so that I know who left it! Thanks!