Saturday, October 10, 2009

Pregnant at Oktoberfest

We recently met up with my mom and her boyfriend at the country's longest-running Oktoberfest in Helen, Georgia. This was our first Oktoberfest and it was certainly a unique experience. We made last-minute plans to go, and we decided not to tell Mom our news in Helen because we want to tell her at the same time as Stephen's parents, who we won't be seeing again for two more weeks. (Dad will just have to be told on the phone at the same time.) Plus this was our first time to meet Mom's boyfriend, so we thought it would be a weird time for the announcement... "Hi, it's so nice to meet you! Well... guess what, Mom? You're going to be a grandma!"

I had a very difficult time finding something to wear that did not showcase my growing tummy. I'm already suspicious that Mom is suspicious that I'm pregnant... that is, if she's noticed anything unusual about how I have nothing to say when she asks me what I'm cooking for supper, or how I am usually yawning or freshly wakened from a mid-day nap when I talk to her on the phone, or how I have turned down every offer of alcohol every time I've seen her in the last three months. (At a dinner party in August she gave me a glass of wine even though I told her I'd just have water, so I had to slip it to Stephen when no one was looking!) And I was the only one not drinking in Helen. Luckily, I had the "designated driver" excuse to bail me out!

1 comment:

  1. Helen, GA! That is where my Georgia family lives (a great aunt)! some other family lives outside of Atlanta. I lived in Hiawasee (close to Helen) when I was 1-3 years old. It is really cool reading these entries, Loreal! Keep it up!

    blessings,
    kristina (erny)

    ReplyDelete

If you aren't a registered Google user, you can still leave a comment by using the "anonymous" option. Just put your name in the comment so that I know who left it! Thanks!