Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Second Trimester Top Ten

I'm kind of sad to say good-bye to the second trimester, because it has been such a nice time (and a million times better than the first tri!). But getting into the third trimester gets us closer to finally meeting our daughter!

The Goods

1. Feeling our baby moving inside me-- it's one of the highlights of my day. (I'll admit there are some moments when I don't enjoy being a human punching bag, but for the most part, it's great =)
2. Watching Stephen become more and more excited about having a baby and seeing him adjust to becoming a more "parental" person. I love the sporadic moments when Stephen leans over to rub or kiss my growing belly.
3. Finding out we are having a little girl!
4. When strangers in public get excited about my pregnancy. It's amazing how a round belly can make people smile. (The most touching instance was when a homeless woman asked me for a stamp at the post office, then her face lit up when she started asking me about the baby.)
5. The fun (and challenge) of picking out a name for our daughter together. (Yes, we do have some names in mind, but aren't ready to make an announcement... so if you know what our ideas are, stay mum for now, please!)
6. Making preparations for our baby girl. (Collecting baby girl clothes has turned out to be just as much fun as everyone told me it would be.)
7. It's been awesome to NOT have that monthly visitor and all the things that go along with it.
8. Not having to worry about getting pregnant!
9. I would be lying if I didn't mention that it's nice to have larger kahunas for a few months. (But when I think about the long-term effects of pregnancy on them, well, I know it's all downhill from here...)
10. My hair is growing at the speed of lightening... And while the hair on my head is breaking growing records, the rate of hair growth on my legs has slowed down to a snail's pace. Weird, but awesome, especially since shaving my legs is becoming more and more difficult to do!

The Not-so-Goods

1. The stresses of preparing for a baby. (How are we ever going to be able to afford all those adorable things she needs? What on earth are we going to do when she starts crying? What if I have problems with breastfeeding? How long will it take us to adjust to having a baby to take care of? How will we find time to get some R&R together?) Not to mention the anxiety of thinking about the impending moment when the baby has to squeeze out of my body...
2. The things people say about my growing belly that make me feel bad, even when they are well-intended. (Those of you who have been pregnant before know what I'm talking about!)
3. Sciatic pains-- there's nothing like an ache in your butt and legs to keep you awake at night. Sometimes I get so sore that I feel like I've run a marathon. And you know I've come nowhere even CLOSE to running, much less a marathon...
4. Indigestion (I am SO tired of burping like a man! How do guys live with this for their whole lives?! And heartburn... yuck!!)
5. Pregnancy fog-- I swear my brain is only functioning at 50%. I walk into doors. I forget to do things even when they are written on both my calendar and my to-do list. I burned my hands on three separate occasions while cooking last week...
6. Infections. Need I say more?
7. Still missing those deli sandwiches! I already know what I want to eat first thing after the baby is born (Italian BMT from Subway, please). Also missing my occasional glass of wine. (Sparkling grape juice just doesn't do the trick!)
8. Dry itchy skin, especially on my stretched-out belly (I might as well buy some stock in the Lubriderm company).
9. Nosebleeds, and of course gum bleeds (sounds like fun, eh?)
10. Bad circulation (I can't feel my fingers!)

3 comments:

  1. This made me really miss all of those good things and shiver at the bad things! There's nothing like waking up to a pillow covered in blood and then drenching the sink in blood after you've brushed your teeth. Fun times! Enjoy your last trimester. Even with the bad, there's nothing quite as sacred as being pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, congratulations on entering the third trimester! I hope it's just as pleasant as the second.
    What a great list! I agree with so much... all those wonderful moments, and not so much the "Oh, your pooch is getting big!" moments! And, um, if you have any tips on your shaving legs when you can't even see your feet, please let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look fabulous. Your hair looks AMAZING! Now you see how I feel with the, uh, kahunas...hahaha. Anyway, I am so excited for you and that baby skirt is the cutest thing EVER!

    Miss you lots and lots!

    Hugs,
    Kara

    ReplyDelete

If you aren't a registered Google user, you can still leave a comment by using the "anonymous" option. Just put your name in the comment so that I know who left it! Thanks!